To Provide God's unconditional love as we
nourish the body and soul in a safe, friendly atmosphere.
History of Nanimo Loaves and Fishes
The sharing and caring of Loaves and Fishes Food Bank got it's start in the charity work of the people of St. Paul's Anglican church and Archdeacon David McKay. The work to create the independent charity of the Loaves & Fishes Food Bank Foundation was begun by Mr. Bill Purdy and Rev. Dawn Braithwaite in 1996. Since then the people of Nanaimo, through their churches, businesses, service clubs and individually as volunteers, have contributed time, energy, financial support, donations and vision to help feed those in need. In 1999 we relocated to our current premises. In these new surroundings, God's unconditional love and presence continues to be experienced in wonderful ways. In 2004 volunteers distributed 36,000 survival bags and we are currently helping about 800 people each week
- In March, 2011. St. Philips Cedar started as a distribution centre for Nanaimo Loaves and Fishes.
- Every Wednesday the supplies for distribution are trucked in from Nanaimo.
- Setup starts at 1pm and tables are filled with the food supplies.
- 2pm to 3pm, patrons register and then proceed to do their shopping.
- Over 30 volunteers from St. Philip and Cedar United Church support the setup and distribution.